Friday, June 21, 2013

Hem

I can still remember hearing Hem for the first time on NPR's All Songs Considered back when their first album, Rabbit Songs, debuted in 2002. The music was beautiful but the female vocalist just blew my mind, her voice both haunting and uplifting at the same time. Over the years Hem has become one of my all-time favorite bands.

Needless to say that when they announced their tour in support of their excellent new album, Departure and Farewell, I jumped on a set of tickets immediately.

Liz Longley: an incredible talent out of Nashville
Hem's opening act, Liz Longley, was terrific. I've never been much of a country music fan but Liz was so charming that I picked up her new CD and now I'm hooked. I'm even heading back up to see her again in September.

Hem

I'm happy to report that Hem were just as amazing live as they are in studio. The crowd at the Birchmere (in Alexandria, VA) was gracious and even a bit reverential, clearly there to enjoy a great night of beautiful music.

After the show I got to cross another name off of my "bucket list" of people I've wanted to meet:

The amazing Sally Ellyson and I

 Sally Ellyson and I talked for a few minutes and even had a little "moment". I found her spirit to be just as lovely as her voice and I walked out of the Birchmere wearing the biggest smile ever.

What an incredible evening.












No comments:

Post a Comment